Sunday, November 6, 2011

An Apostate Catholic

Shortly after moving to Colorado back in 2005, I stopped attending mass. There are a number of reasons why I became a Catholic in name only, and why I'm now considering starting to participate in the faith again.

First of all, let me say my rejection of the forms of the Catholic tradition had little to do with the sex scandals that erupted in the 1990's. Personally, I think the celibacy rule for priests is just silly and in fact contradicts the roots of the Christian tradition. Peter, after all, was married or widowed and there's no reason to think the other apostles were single men. For that matter, it seems likely to me that Jesus must have been married - otherwise, the implication is that he was gay.

No, the sex scandals were the horrific result of an unrealistic requirement imposed on men who had, or thought they had, a vocation. What troubled me about the church as an institution was first the cover-up of the scandal, which amounted to obstruction of justice, and a tacit willingness to permit pedophiles to continue preying on children, and second the accumulated resources of the church that allowed payment of settlements to the vicitms totaling more than $100 million.

Where'd the church get that kind of money? Every Catholic parish I ever attended periodically claimed it was on the ragged edge of insolvency and begged for greater donations from the faithful. They were sitting on enormous financial resources while "guilting" parishioners who very often were people of modest means, struggling with their own finances. That was a turn-off.

On a less profound level, I have become used to a leisurely Sunday morning spent with a second or third cup of coffee and the Sunday newspaper. Mass can't compete with the Los Angeles Times crossword puzzle. Since I work on Saturdays and Mondays, Sunday became a day of rest in the literal sense and I have enjoyed not having to get dressed and go anywhere.

But after half a decade away, I'm thinking of going back. Part of my reasoning is that attending a time honored activity is what we once called a "warm fuzzy," that is a group gathering that takes us back to childhood, back to happy times now recollected as life begins its inexorable passage to its inexorable end.

Another part of the same feeling comes from the commandment, "Honor thy father and thy mother." My dad especially was what we used to describe as "More Catholic than the pope." Dropping back into the forms of the faith is a way of remembering them both and paying homage to their way of life.

Even more than that, I feel a real resurgence of the idea of a social gospel now. After decades of individualist Christianity, we once again are seeing what I believe is the true essence of the faith, the simple thought that we are our brothers' (and sisters') keepers and are commanded to help one another in this world, rather than emphasize a world to come that is attained by a head in the clouds type of faith. I guess I reject Lutheranism and fundamentalist Christianity all in the same breath here. And I'm not speaking about getting on the building committee or anything like that. What I mean is the old "corporal works of mercy" - feeding the hungry, giving comfort to the sick, seeking justice. Following, in short, the Sermon on the Mount.

So maybe I'll get involved in the church again. Meanwhile, what's a seven letter word for "collectibles from faraway lands?" The second letter is x.

3 comments:

  1. Pete, My mother was "more Catholic than the Pope"! Many in the family do not know that she went right into the convent after high school graduation in 1941. She lasted about 2 years; and just couldn't hack it and left. My siblings and I were taught that the WORST thing we could ever do was leave the Catholic Church. It was worse than ANYTHING. I often kid that if one of their kids had ever said to them, "Mom, Dad, I'm Gay!" They would have responded, "But at least you're not leaving the Catholic Church!" Pete, you did not give the Lutherans a fair shake here. A good friend is a pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church which (believe it or not) is quite LIBERAL. Now, the Missouri Synod and Wisconsin Synod are another story! One thing that really turns me off about the Catholic Church is that it maintains a political state (however TINY) at Vatican City. Of course, centuries ago, the Papal States were bigger than southern New England. Some day I'll tell you about how and why Dianne and I left the Catholic Church for the fellowship of evangelical Protestants when we were young adults, but that's for another day. NOW, what's an 11 letter word for "speaking in other tongues"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the concern of the church that priests who married and had children would expect to be able to pass something on to their sons. Since Priests lived off the bounty the church reaped, it would be difficult to justify passing on a position in the faith from father to son, in the way nobles did; what's more, the church wanted to be able to hand out offices as rewards or political prizes, and inheritances of bishoprics etc could get in the way of that. In the end, the church determined it was easier to require Priests to be 'wedded to the faith' rather than have to deal with the inheritance fallout; regardless of how many children a priest or bishop (or pope) might sire in their lifetime, none of these children could be considered legitimate and thus could not legally inherit property or offices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son the history major. I take great pride in his knowledge.

    ReplyDelete