Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Question for the GOP Wannabes

About a year ago I posted a blog entry about a person who sought emergency room treatment for an unspecified illness while using a cellphone and sporting a gold tooth and some tattoos. The gist of the story was that this person was not taking responsibility for her/his own health care and welfare generally.

I said there might be any number of reasons the person was in this particular situation. Try to get a refund from your dentist or tattoo artist to pay for your emergency room visit (or anything else), for example.

My understanding of the Health Care Reform Act is that it is intended to ameliorate this problem by mandating private insurance for everyone and prohibiting insurance companies from denying coverage to applicants. I'll  agree that the Act is far from perfect. How much coverage is needed, for example, how high a deductible can a person get and still comply with the Act, and so forth. Still, it does demonstrably reduce the number of uninsured people in this country, such as the person I referred to a minute ago.

So my question to the GOP right-wingers is, if you object to freeeloaders using the healthcare system without paying for it, and object to "Obamacare," what would you do to solve the problem?

By the way, Mike Huckabee, former governor of Arkansas and presidential hopeful, speaheads a very well financed political ad that claims the Health Care Reform Act was worked out in a sealed room in the middle of the night contrary to the wishes of most Americans. As I recall it, Congress agonized over the bill for a year, well covered by the media, and was the product of more compromises than I for one would have liked. Huckabee, for whom I once had a little respect, is wrong on all counts and a demagogue.

My advice generally is, before any election, look at who is doing the most advertising, and vote for the other candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment