Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Wheel of (Financial) Life

In 1965 I had my first real job, bagging groceries part-time at a local supermarket. The pay was $1.15 an hour, minimum wage at the time. With tips, I managed about $1.50. My parents provided my food, shelter, clothing, and medical care. My money was for lunches out and record albums. Gas cost about $.35 a gallon, so I could buy about four gallons with what I earned in an hour. I was 16 years old then.

Now I'm 61. (Notice reversal of digits from when I first started working.) I work part-time at the local library as a security monitor and clerk. The pay is $12.36 an hour, substantially above minimum wage. My pension from years of work for the feds pays for most of my mortgage. My money buys me my food, shelter, clothing and medical care. There's precious little for lunches out and record cd's. Gas costs about $3.00 per gallon, so I can buy about four gallons with what I earn in an hour.

Just where did I go wrong? How can someone on minimum wage possibly make a go of things nowadays?

On an unrelated note, I would like to thank the people who responded to my blog entry about movies. I'll post more about movies sometime soon. And watch this space for the next appearance of CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment