Tuesday, October 11, 2011

It Does My Heart Good

It's the middle of the night as I write this, but I just have to say it. Hurrah for the "Occupy Wall Street" movement! Just when I was ready to despair for American democracy, there's a real grassroots movement aimed at restoring some justice, not to mention sanity, in our political discourse.

I say real grassroots movement to differentiate what's happening now from the bogus Tea Party. I never really objected to the anger Tea Partiers shouted out, I only felt they were angry at all the wrong people (and rude). People who had every right to be angry took out their frustrations on the government that's trying to protect them and allowed themselves to be used as tools by the selfish wealthy of this country.

Now we have something genuine, a true phenomenon that shows us real hope for the first time since the beginning of Barack Obama's presidency, before he rolled over and turned up his toes for the Republican minority.

And naturally, the politicians who are bought and paid for are screaming their frustration, trying with all their might to make people afraid of their fellow citizens who are exercising their right of free speech. Eric Kantor, the Darth Vader of the House Republicans, voices his alarm. Here's a man who has become a multi-millionaire on a Congressional salary, worrying that stockbrokers might be inconvenienced. Kantor referred to the "Occupy" movement as a mob. Give me a break!

So I'm ready to occupy Colorado Springs, if only I could figure out what part of this suburban sprawl I live in would be the right place to do it. Join the movement! Solidarity forever!

1 comment:

  1. Eric Kantor is too prissy and shrill to be the Darth Vader of House Republicans

    ReplyDelete