Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Miscellaneous Thoughts on a Wednesday

My wife is at work, making me money, and I'm at home, relaxing after spending a couple of hours in the heat, painting house trim. It was hard work, but I still feel like a "kept man," lounging around, not doing anything productive at the moment.

I don't really mind being kept. I think of it as a rehearsal for retirement. Since I'm older than my wife, I imagine I'll retire while she still wants to work. Luckily, I know my way around a house, so will become the little man who fries up the bacon she brings home. Alas, she's a vegetarian and I don't care for bacon, so any bacon she does bring home will just sit in the fridge until it goes bad.

At our house, food does go bad in the fridge. My wife is zealous about saving tiny uneaten portions of food and then forgetting about them. Weeks later I find them in the back, moldy, and take them out to compost.

This morning I saw Senator Bernie Sanders on MSNBC. He was terrific, insisting that the current budget imbroglio could not be solved by cutting benefits to 85 year old retirees. He's enough to make me wish I lived in Vermont, just so I could vote to re-elect him.

As I write this I'm watching an old movie, "Stand by Me" on video. I've always liked it and recall nostalgically the last line, "I never had any friends again like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"

For me, the best friendships came when I was eleven. So for Alonso, Donnie, David Miller, and all the others in my fifth grade class, I wish you health and happiness wherever you are now. Also the girls I knew then, although I was just starting to learn about the glories of femininity.

No comments:

Post a Comment