Saturday, July 17, 2010

Welcome to My Blog

I'm Pete from Colorado Springs, deep in Republican country here at the western end of the Great Plains. My intention in this blog is to provide some insights into life after living on this old planet for 61 years.
I work in a library. The other day a woman came in to borrow Ayn Rand's book "The Fountainhead." When the librarian who helped her mentioned that there is suddenly a big call for Ayn Rand's books, the woman answered, "Well, Glenn Beck recommends them."
I had to bite my tongue. Something inside me was saying, "You're in a public library, a socialized institution, borrowing a book that's provided at taxpayers' expense, written by the patron saint of the radical right and extolled by a man who thinks all government services are poorly run, too expensive and should be turned over to private enterprise. What's wrong with this picture?
From time to time I'll comment on the political scene, ethics, religion and history, so please watch this spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment